Why Halloween is a Great Time for Meditation and Why You Should Use it to Get your Halloween Om On!
As we all know, Halloween is an ancient tradition, celebrated by getting dressed up in fancy dress, going trick-or-treating, watching scary movies or playing seasonal games like apple dunking! All this to celebrate the activity of spirits and ghostly activity on this spooky night.
However, Halloween, otherwise known as Samhain (Irish for summer’s end) also signifies the old celtic start of the darker time of year or winter. It is also the night before the start of a new month, and what could be a better time to start afresh, than at a time of year which symbolises a new start? Don’t wait til the new year - do it now!
If there is a new goal you are wanting to achieve, gain some clarity in your life or simply break out of a bad habit, Halloween is the perfect time to to do this, and here are some great tips to get you started!
Did you know that top athletes use visualisation techniques to help them excel at their sport? It’s true - there is plenty of research on this topic, an example of just one such study is featured on Psychiactric Annals - a psychology journal.
Put simply, athletes who had previously had a declining performance started using visualisation techniques when preparing for a competitive event. They visualised every moment of the upcoming event from salutations to the final positive outcome. Visualisation techniques were practised both in therapy sessions and alone at home. Ultimately, after 3 months using these visualisation techniques the athletes improved their respective performances, completely turning the tables on previous performances.
Visualisation techniques replace negative thinking which causes anxiety and replaces it with positive thoughts and confidence. It also prepares the brain for what is to come, making you fully prepared to deal with any eventuality. Whatever goal you want to achieve, whether its public speaking, a sporting win, or weight loss, visualisation can be used for any of these things.
Practise the following meditation:
- Prepare your meditation space - find a quiet, peaceful spot in your home and make it comfortable by placing a meditation mat or cushion on the floor where you will be sitting. Burn a smudge stick to clear negative energy, or simply use some of your favourite essential oil in a diffuser or oil burner. Frankincense is perfect for meditation thanks to its calming qualities and ability to aid focus. Also, remember to wear comfortable clothes
- Sit comfortably and chant Om (pronounced A-U-M) slowly 3 times, out loud to help clear the mind of all unwanted thoughts and clear the mind. Breathe deeply and slowly
- Start to visualise what it is you want to achieve. Let’s say, for example, that you have an upcoming event where you have to deliver a speech or a presentation to a large number of people. Visualise every single possible moment that might arise, from what you will wear through to greeting the crowd and what you will say. Imagine the sound of the crowd, visualise who will be there and where they will be sitting. Imagine you are actually there, think about how your body feels and the different emotions you will be feeling. Visualise yourself being confident, at ease, and delivering your speech with perfect execution.
- Repeat the mantra “I confident, I am knowledgeable, I can achieve anything I want”
- Finish your meditation with three Om’s and open your eyes
- Practise this meditation at least 3 times a week. You can change your visualisation each time slightly so you can account for different eventualities that may arise. This way, no matter what happens, you will be prepared and ready to deal with it.
This meditation can be edited to suit any situation or requirement.
Do you ever feel massively frustrated about life in general and just can’t quite put your finger on what’s wrong? Is your life so busy that you simply can’t stand back, take a birds eye view and clearly see what it is you need to change to be in a happier place? Are you struggling to see a path forward?
Clary sage essential oil is well known for its ability to help you connect to your spiritual site and open the third eye chakra, helping you to get in touch with your intuition and gain more clarity on a situation.
- You can use a drop of Clary Sage on your pillow while you sleep, or alternatively mix just 1 drop with a good amount of face moisturiser
- Rub the mixture into your third eye in the centre of your forehead, between the eyes, or use clary sage in an oil burner or diffuser
- Meditate for 5 minutes daily for 1 week, simply clear the mind of all thoughts. When a new thought comes, just let it go and ground yourself by focusing on your breathing
- Go to bed and allow the subconscious mind to work things out for you while you are sleeping
- By the end of the week, you should feel a clearer sense of direction and be ready to make some decisions to get your life back on track
We hope you’ve found this post useful, and would love to hear your success stories on how you have made visualisation techniques or meditation work for you! Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like your story shared on our blog!
Over and Om!